Friday, January 28, 2011

Snowy Grocery Store Walk & Learning to Read



Walked over to Ahart’s and got breakfast.  Along the way a lady asked me for $0.50 and I asked what for and she said food.  I took her with while I was shopping, it was a bit odd getting groceries with her 5 ft behind me.  Their organic stuff’s expensive and limited so I didn’t get much organic, like normal.  I question the environmental benefits of organic versus spending the money on other items.  But, organic foods do taste better and for cost to go down the market supply and demand needs to grow.  She said she couldn’t eat much cause she lost a bunch of teeth and had some loose ones, and she chose Campbell’s creamy tomato soup to go (~8 oz of soup for $1.50).  I got her the generic hearty chicken and rice for $2.15.  But, really if you cook on your own you could make a pot of soup for like $7 that lasts you ~5 meals.  At one point in the store she still asked for money because she needed something at the pharmacy.  Between her lack of teeth, spacey behavior, and desire for money I’m guessing she was using meth.  As I mentioned before, the US should probably make pseudoephedrine prescription only.  When we left I had bought $10 of groceries, $2 for her soup.  I said good bye and it looked like she was confused as to where to go.  I was tired and just continued on my way.  With all the snow lots of people are making money shoveling, apparently $10/hr on campus if you get to the right place at 3-4AM.  But she’s getting SSI for some disability, so maybe she can’t.  I think if I walk more places life would be more interesting and less zombie-like.
--
I wonder how common it is for students to writer their own letter of recommendation when someone else is too busy.  Well, it is a bit my fault because of procrastination.  We’ll include this in the list of new things done around this proposal.
--
I may just eat a whole box of “Raisin Bran Extra!” today.  Not for any good reason except that I bought it as part of breakfast.

--
After re-reading the proposal details my submission won’t count at all because they’re going to review submissions up until Feb 1st - the date I was going to submit.  Also, I screwed up getting outside recommendations’ and those probably won’t happen.  Holy crap.  After killing myself the last two weeks working on this thing it doesn’t matter because I suck at reading and not skimming.  Well, I figured this would be a lesson in something.  It was a lesson in reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment