Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Random thoughts from 2-14-11->2-15-11


I see many people around me aging.  I saw a picture of Dr. Topoleski, who I haven’t seen in like 2 years, and he looked older.  Although, picture angles and what not can be deceptive.  People in choir are all white (maybe there’s a female minority, but there’s too many females to know) and generally older than 55, many over 70.

I was excited to enter the GSVC, but after contacting them I found out that the executive summary deadline had already passed.  This wasn’t listed on their website.  Way lame.  I was getting excited about this competition, but I found a couple others I can enter- http://www.williamjamesfoundation.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=Page.ViewPage&PageID=905
But the whole business-competition thing feels a bit wrong, not exactly the right word… contrived?  I’m just an anti-capitalist hippie at times.  There’s two others I could do but the events overlap with the EPA activities.

Seeing as how the idea of med school doesn’t currently thrill me out the wazoo, I think I’ll wait another year before submitting an application.  I don’t really have much excitement for anything.  Making a business seems like a cool project.  I think that’s what’s driven me the most “____ seems cool” and then I do that as a short-term project.  At least with regards to most exciting school/service type things I’ve done in the past 4 years.  That was definitely the case for med school for a while, and I nearly applied last May, but the letter of recommendation from UMBC Premed Office stopped up those plans.  Passion, I want passion.  I want excitement.  Tonight, I’ll finish up slides to teach some kids tomorrow, hopefully get to the gym, EPA P3 things, etc.  Exciting *rolls eyes*

The awesomely new building I work on has some HVAC problems.  It's frequently in a vacuum, maybe from all the hoods.  There's a draft through the whole building now.  Kind of hilarious for an 8 month-old building.
Apparently the friendly morning janitor lady's husband is real ill and might not make it.  This is very sad.   She’s one of the nicest people I know at Lehigh.

At the gym I asked why, again.  Tomorrow I’m going to teach kids about coagulation and flocculation.  Maybe one day one of them will get a job somewhere where they help provide clean drinking water from surface water and use coagulation to remove the fine particulate.  If so, I can imagine that I will have helped, in the slightest way, to provide clean water to future generations.  This is a good thing and gives me drive to keep doing what I’m doing (at least for the late hours of tonight).  Without having meaning behind all actions, things don’t matter as much and sometimes you just don’t care about the side effects of your actions.

I’ve seen a girl I TA’d last semester at the gym like 2x in the past 5 days.  I think I weird her out.  I tend to think this is the reaction from most girls I first meet.  I guess I am a bit socially awkward for others, especially in a place like Lehigh.  This probably isn’t going to change anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment